Thank you for your interest in helping our shelter! All of us here at the Humane Society of Calvert County are extremely grateful for the tremendous community support we receive. Our volunteers are indispensable! they are dedicated people of all ages, from all walks of life, who thoughtfully donate thousands of hours of their own personal time to help the animals and people of Calvert County.
We are currently not accepting new applications for volunteers at this time due to the Coronavirus pandemic, and we sincerely apologize for any inconvenience. Please check back with us at a later date.
** If you have been ordered to complete court-ordered service, please contact Angel at Spirit1610@hotmail.com
Please note, we only accept court-ordered community service through Calvert County courts. Please also note that you will not be working with the animals.
Short-term volunteers are Girl Scout & Boy scout troops, student/individuals who need to earn a few community service hours for school, church or a club or simply those who wish to help the animals but cannot commit to being a long term volunteer.
if your group would like to help the Humane Society of Calvert County by doing a service project, please contact Nicole Smith @NicoleSmith703@gmail.com
Because further training is required to work directly with our animals, short term volunteers do not interact with our shelter animals.
Long-term volunteers are those folks that can commit to a minimum ion four hours per month and be with us for six months or more.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: Are there any age restrictions to volunteer?
As one of the few animal welfare organizations that continues to welcome children as volunteers, we greatly recognize their talents, gifts and enthusiasm. However, as an animal shelter, we must also weigh the risks inherent when around animals and in a public facility. For safety and liability reasons, volunteers under age 18 years of age must be accompanied to all volunteer activities by a parent or legal guardian. parents or legal guardians are asked to fill out a separate volunteer application, and attend orientation and trainings with the child. We ask that no more than three children be accompanied by one adult. Only volunteers age 16 and up may volunteer at offsite events.
Q: How much time do I need to commit to volunteering?
We ask that you commit to a minimum of Four hours per month for at least six months
Q: What are the jobs that volunteers can do?
We have a variety of programs and services to suit all types of volunteers
*Adoption events: bring adoptable animals from shelter to social adoption events to help them find forever homes
* Animal care: Assist our animal care teams with activities such as cleaning cages & kennels
*Administrative: Help our admin and adoptions staff with duties such as date entry, checking voice mails, returning phone calls and other office projects
* Daily Chores: Help our shelter staff with daily tasks such as cleaning, mopping, laundry and organizing donations
* Dog Walker: Help make a shelter dog's day better by taking them for a walk or spending some quality time playing or relaxing with them in enrichment are or play yard.
* Grounds & maintenance: assist with special projects, day to day grounds and maintenance related activities and beautification projects in and out of the shelter
* Humane education: provide outreach and education in the community or at the shelter for various schools, youth groups or special events
* Photography: Help HSCC animals find placement by taking photos for our website, social media appeals, rescue and foster pleas, and/or take photos at HSCC events
*Special Events: Assist with planning, preparation and execution of special events in the community
*Transport: Help transport pets to satellite adoption locations, veterinary hospitals and local rescue groups
** We are currently not accepting new applications for volunteers at this time and sincerely apologize for any inconvenience. Please check back with us at a later date.
General volunteer questions: Nicole Smith NicoleSmith703@gmail.com